Let's start with the positives, shall we?
- We had a nice summer, relaxing by the pool and out and about in our nearby National Parks:
- I tidied up our homeschool space, moving it downstairs:
...which we still use (sometimes!) and occasionally still looks as neat as this!!
- We had a great trip to our nation's capital Canberra and also to Thredbo in the spring:
- We found out that Video Boy does, in fact, have ADHD (the inattentive type) and were able to finally put another piece in the puzzle that is my son:
- I got to meet some other, new (to me) homeschool mums in the area, and finally met Helena and her family from Loving to Learn
- In homeschooling, we did great maths, some OK writing, some interesting science and I'm sure we did some other stuff too....
|Wombat Girl found tea and quadratic equations equally fulfilling!|
|Turns out they're not too old to enjoy being kids|
|Board games continue to be a very important family recreational past-time|
|We did enjoy our paper folding and fractals (and so did you!)|
|Occasionally I make them do "proper" work|
- The kids did well on their external testing (NAPLAN and UNSW exams), showing progress and reassuring me that we must be doing something right!
- On a personal note, I took charge of my health and finished the year 5kg lighter than when I started (with a couple of ups and downs in between):
- The kids grew. A lot!
OK - so onto the not so good things about 2012 - not to dwell on the bad, but to learn from it and move forward:
- I spent way too much time at work. Paid work, which is nice for $$ and all, but especially toward the end of the year, the balance got out of whack.
- Consequently, we didn't really get into a homeschooling groove this year. Sure we got some stuff done, but there was lots I had planned that we didn't achieve and I just had an overwhelming sense of "just getting by".
- My babies are growing up! I know this is inevitable, but it just compounds the need to spend time with them while they are still at home and still "kids", rather than adults.
So, 2013, what do the fates have in store for me? Well, you never know what's around the corner, but based on where we are now and what we've learned this year, next year I would like to:
- Work less, homeschool more. My main "resolution" for 2013.
- Laugh more, say "yes" to my kids and hubby more.
- Keep on track with my health and later in the year, run a half marathon (gotta have goals!)
- Go on a decent relaxing, but interesting holiday (longer than a couple of days break)
- I may post later in the year of big changes afoot, but these things take time and may not even happen, so until then, I will keep on keeping on, doing the best that I can.
So on that note, I wish all of you a very Happy New Year - may you work on it being a good one and may luck smile on you (at least occasionally!).