I often feel a bit "bah humbug" about New Years - it's just another day in the life, after all. But I suppose it provides a good point in which to reflect on what has been and ponder where you want your life to be headed. So here we go...plus a couple of photos that didn't make it into the blog (which I find hard to believe, there were soooo many!).
Reflection - the best and the worst of 2011:
- Got the best portable pool for a bargain price at Ebay! A refreshing start to the year!
- Did not do "back to school" shopping - no school shoes, no new uniforms, no sinking feeling.
|Last day of school in 2010 - |
never have to wear those uniforms again!
Don't they look excited?
- The best "first day of school" ever - visited another local homeschooling family - played board games, swam, ate, chatted - all while all the other kids were dressed in their school uniforms and sweated through a hot day of 35 degrees! Felt very strange, but looking back, was such a good idea and a wonderful way to start off our homeschooling adventure.
|Wombat Girl explaining binary to our new |
friends on our first day of school in 2011...
- A year of learning - wonderful reading, some attempts at writing, fabulously interesting maths and science, a new interest in history, new geographic skills learnt, working on our physical skills and activity levels, some nice art and craft produced. And we radically changed our thinking about what learning was and what it looks like. And every year I say to myself I want to spend more quality time with my kids - this year I think I managed to achieve that!
- I quit a job I wasn't enjoying and found some more meaningful, fulfilling work
- Learnt to use my DSLR camera better and took some lovely shots!
- Great travelling - skiing and did you know that we did a cruise to New Zealand??
- Lost some weight, did Dry July, went from the Couch to running 9km in a fun run, got injured, put weight back on.
- I discovered the wonderful Blogosphere - lots of people's inspiring blogs and started my own (and kept it up!).
All things considered, we had a pretty good year. There were a few wobbly bits - my friend's daughter dying, some tears through homeschooling, and just general ups and downs of family life. But overall, we can look back at 2011 as a very positive experience!
Directions - things to aim for in 2012:
New Year's Resolutions? Well, it's good to have goals (or at least something to look forward too)!
- Lose weight, drink less (I have that up there every year, because I like to be consistent).
- Start running again (trying to avoid re-injury) and do some fun runs. I think I might leave the half-marathons for someone else this year though!
- Keep homeschooling. Some general goals: start working on academic essay writing skills, keep reading, keep working on maths/science, build a computer, get more active, do some more creative activities, start looking at online/tertiary courses that might be suitable for the kids.
- Get out of the house a bit more - make more of an effort to see family and friends, see shows, go to museums - that sort of thing.
- Travel - Uluru/central Australia is on the agenda for later in the year; go bushwalking/camping more; and I'm always on the lookout for the next cruise/resort holiday!
- Keep trying to say "yes" - it's amazing where "yes" can take you!
- Keep on blogging, reading, sharing, learning and reflecting.
So at the end of another year, a pretty good year at that, I wish all my family, old and new friends, real life and online acquaintances the best that 2012 can bring. We know that in reality, it won't be all smooth sailing and that life can throw some funny roadblocks in your path. But here's wishing that you are able to lemons into lemonade, take care of yourself and your loved ones and enjoy the journey that is your life!