Saturday, December 17, 2011

Romeo and Juliet

One of the things you may not know about me is that for at least 10 years of my life, I danced! Classical ballet (my favourite), tap (hated it, then loved it) and jazz ballet (I'm not funky and loose enough to be good at it).

I was skinny (and blurry) back in the day!

And I love going to see live dance. My first experience of live ballet was the Australian Ballet Christmas Fair in the gardens of Government House in 1986!


The now-Artistic Director of the Aust. Ballet David McAllister
 with Elizabeth Toohey in the Tarantella

My first full-length ballet was (quite fittingly) Swan Lake with the Australian Ballet at the Opera House in March 1987, where I was lucky enough to see the beautiful Christine Walsh dance!


The next March (1988) was my first viewing of Romeo and Juliet (the John Cranko version). How I loved it! The music is simply some of the most beautiful music I have ever heard and the choreography beautiful. There is much argument in the ballet world about the relative merits of Cranko's R&J vs. Kenneth MacMillan's. I think both have their merits and they could dance a jig to that music and it would still be stunning!





Over the years, I have seen quite a few more ballets - the Australian Ballet has a Youth Package for those under 26 years old at a fraction of the adult ticket prices - it certainly worth checking out if you live in/near Sydney or Melbourne!

A huge highlight was to have had the extreme pleasure of watching Baryshnikov dance (before he got too old!) and I swear I have never (and will probably never) seen someone execute the art form of dance more sublimly.

And now I have also had the pleasure of sharing my love of dance, and in particular ballet, with Wombat Girl (who took lessons for a couple of years, but didn't love it, so I let that dream go...sniff...). She has seen Swan Lake and Graham Murphy's version of the Nutcracker.

Graham Murphy is an Australian choreographer, who amongst other things, has re-worked the classics for the Australian Ballet. His latest effort is none other than Romeo and Juliet:


As he says in the program, William Shakespeare's prose is legendary and his words immortal. How then to present them as dance? The words need to be conveyed by the dancer's bodies - they are emphemeral (unless someone captures them on film).




So I was very excited this week to head up to Sydney, to visit my brother and enjoy his company, great food and a gorgeous take on one of the world's great love stories...










4 comments:

  1. How lovely! I also danced as a child, I was far more interested in Jazz and Tap than Ballet though I did suffer it for a few years. LOL Love watching it though and love how it has evolved with other forms of dance thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ingrid,

    Hey, I danced too! As a child, I would drive my parents crazy practicing the latest classical Indian dance step I'd learned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this stunning post, love the pics and clips! I too danced as a child. Ballet, tap and jazz and then became a teacher. My mum was a professional ballerina and is now an RAD international examiner. Several times a year we headed to the Lyric in Brisbane to see the ballet. Some of my fondest childhood memories :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I grew up in the sticks and didn't have dance opportunity but enjoyed it through Christy. How wonderful to see you and your brother!

    ReplyDelete

Bloggers LOVE comments! We are pretty needy that way, so go on, leave some love :-)

Embroidery Project - Blue Butterfly

I downloaded this pattern as a PDF from Hoop Embroidery Co on Esty as my first attempt at the technique known as "thread painting"...