Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Moments

As much as I love sharing with you all the fun-filled activities of homeschooling, I feel as if you wouldn't really get the whole picture if I don't also describe a little of our trials and tribulations.

Intense, sensitive, over-excited, emotional - these phrases are used in the gifted literature to describe the gifted child. Some days it just feels "full-on" to me. My kids have always been like this (the help-line when they were babies got a bit of a workout!), and was one of the reasons school didn't work for them and we decided to homeschool instead.



So, in amongst all the lovely learning, we have our moments. Moments where we settle down on the couch, all cuddly, I make a comment that I love hearing Video Boy laugh out loud at books we are reading, and the next thing you know Wombat Girl is in floods of tears because she feels left out. Much discussion and many cuddles ensue...


Moments where I yell (real mums do that occasionally) at Video Boy to come downstairs and away from his netbook, and he is in tears because adults always tell the kids what to do and why don't I come up and talk to him sensibly, like I expect him to? Fair enough, and much discussion and many cuddles ensue...


Moments where I take Video Boy to the dentist, but the stress of the needle, the noise of the drill all becomes too much for him, and he is sitting there, fists clenched, feet jiggling and ready to pounce right outta that chair. I give him my iPod, put on the audiobook of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, sit holding his big, 12 year old boy hand to calm him down and help him get through this as quick as possible. Many cuddles ensue...


Moments where Wombat Girl becomes so distraught at the ending of Puff the Magic Dragon she can't stop crying and she can't go to sleep and she's terrified of the dark. Hubby goes downstairs (again), to calm her down, and much discussion (Puff will now look for a girl like her to replace Jacky Paper) and many cuddles ensue...


Some days seem full-on. Some days I feel as if I spend most of my time reassuring, discussing, cuddling and making sure everything is OK. And that is (one of) the beauties of homeschooling - I can do that. I'm getting better at going with flow, suggesting things, finding ways to do things that help us all relax and improve our love of learning. By the time I get the hang of it, I hope they will have found ways to self-soothe and make their own way in the world. But I also hope we always have much discussion and many cuddles...

5 comments:

  1. Your son and I are the SAME way at the Dentist!!! And yes I happen to yell as well =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes - sounds like life around here sometimes, um, well actually a lot of the time!
    Really like your honesty Ingi...pleased to see those over-excitabilities aren't just over-here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man - some days, those over-excitabilities do my head in! Glad I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aah, the tricky and sticky stuff.

    So much fun.
    oof. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ingi, it sounds like you're describing our more wobbly days, too (especially this past week)!

    I think our whole lives, even on non-wobbly days, are built on cuddles and conversation. Yes, it takes time and energy, but, like you, I truly would not have it any other way.

    Thank you, Ingi, for sharing this :)

    ReplyDelete

Bloggers LOVE comments! We are pretty needy that way, so go on, leave some love :-)

Embroidery Project - Blue Butterfly

I downloaded this pattern as a PDF from Hoop Embroidery Co on Esty as my first attempt at the technique known as "thread painting"...