Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Dinner time discussion

This working full time is pretty full-on. I mean even when I was teaching a couple of years back, I generally got to school at 8:30am and left by about 4:30pm (unless it was report writing time). And don't mention the holidays.
Granted, I was wishing away my life, hanging out desperately for the next holidays. And I may have been slightly unhinged from trying to look after huge groups of teenagers every day.

But this new job I have as a travel agent has pushed back my leisure hours. Oh, and the hours I used to devote to domestic duties. I'm away from the house at least 8am to 6pm, and probably at least twice a week work hours later than that if it's been a busy day.

So, the family have had to step up to ensure a more equitable division of the domestic labour.

Most of this involves getting the kids to cook something for dinner at least once a week each. In reality, it's more like once a fortnight, but I have grand plans of a roster to make it easy for everyone (hubby, that includes you too!).

And they've been great! Meals have included spaghetti and meatballs, chicken and mustard filo parcels, homemade pizza and burritos.

OK, most times the thought crosses my mind that it would be easier and certainly quicker to do it myself! But think of the skills they are developing. And the self confidence. And the meals that I didn't have to prepare after a long day at work!
And because we are all about equal opportunity here, rest assured Video Boy has spent equal amounts of time in the kitchen as his sister, but because I am a slacker mum who was drinking wine in the lounge room, I neglected to take his photo. But you get the idea! 


1 comment:

  1. Good work Ingi! I'm so looking forward to that happening here.I have at least 1 son who wants to be a chef like dad.

    ReplyDelete

Bloggers LOVE comments! We are pretty needy that way, so go on, leave some love :-)

Embroidery Project - Blue Butterfly

I downloaded this pattern as a PDF from Hoop Embroidery Co on Esty as my first attempt at the technique known as "thread painting"...