Well, in the comments section of my last post, the lovely, gorgeous (well, I assume she is of gorgeous spirit - I don't think I've ever seen a photo, so I'm not in a position to comment on her looks!) April, at Educating April, nominated Defying Gravity for a Liebster Blog Award. Wow. My first award!
What's the Liebster Blog Awards, I hear you ask?? Well, I kinda asked the same thing!
The Liebster Blog Award started (sometime in the recent past) in Germany (presumably by some dude named Liebster) to encourage traffic to hidden gems of blogs (yeah, like mine! - with 300 followers or less). So it is an award you receive, but also an award you give (share the love kinda thing). If you receive a Liebster Blog Award you are asked to choose 3-5 other bloggers and link back to the blogger that gave you the award.
I like to think that value of "awards" like these is not growing your list of followers, but gettting to know other bloggers who might not be well known, yet have a lot to share. It's about building a community :-)
Here is what April had to say about Defying Gravity:
This blog is about an Australian family homeschooling two exceptionally gifted children. It is interesting to read how Ingi educates her children and caters for their individual needs. Also I am very fond of this blog as it opened my eyes to a world that I did not know existed but which is now very much a part of our lives.
Thank you so much for those kind words April! It means a lot to me that you enjoy my words and our journey. And I'm presuming you are talking about discovering the wonderful world of gifted children and how homeschooling can benefit them!
So, for those I am about to award, I would like to point out there is no obligation to continue this award. If this is not your cup of tea, don't panic! I would like to award the Liebster Blog Award to....
- dkjsv05 at Our Journey 'Round the Mulberry Bush - this lovely lady has been homeschooling for a couple of years and started out very much in the Steiner/Waldorf school of thought. Over time she has explored new ways of learning for her two girls, and is now proudly calling herself a radical unschooler. I love her "Little Comments" posts - those beautiful moments that slip away if you don't pay enough attention and I love her bravery for forging a new learning path for her family.
- Jo at Unbounded Ocean is my latest find! She is an ecologist who is currently living in South Australia, radically unschooling her son Kai. I love her links, her embracing of technology, her love of Harry Potter and Twilight and just the fact that it's an Australian family choosing the road less taken and loving it.
- Another Australian is the amazing Helena at Loving to Learn. First of all, I love her words - she writes beautifully and I'm not ashamed to admit often brings me to tears. Second of all I love her family - a boy and a girl who seem not that dissimilar to mine. Third of all, I love that she shares everything - the good, the bad the wobbly. She is such an inspiration to me and I know one day we will meet in real life, when all the stars and moons align!
- Mona over at Life With Intensity has my son's doppleganger! Gifted plus sensory issues equals full-on! I love her descriptions of life with her son and how she has spent the time to work out what works for them.
- And I am very much enjoying MamaTea at the Hmmm...schooling Mum - I just love her spot-on observations of life, learning and homeschooling. Nice pics and funny words - what's not to like?
So, if you haven't already, head on over and check out these blogs - you won't regret it, I promise!!!