Skip to main content

I Will Survive!

At first I was afraid, I was petrified...

What a week this has been. I'd love to be reporting in that I've done all my runs, ate cleanly etc. Sunday night I got all my running gear out ready for Monday morning - I had work on every day this week, so I was going to have to get up early and be organised!

But life has a way of bringing the best of intentions undone. I woke on Sunday night with stomach pains and by morning felt like a truck had run me over. It was when my head was in the toilet bowl that I thought to myself "perhaps no running today?"

It was a very unpleasant day, and I bailed out of work; I ditched the after-work tutoring. There was a moment there when I felt if not death, but perhaps a light coma would be nice! Every cell in my body ached and my head felt like it was going to explode. My guts re-arranged themselves with alarming regularity. It was awful.

On the "plus" side, I ate really nothing - except for a bit of vegemite on toast. 

I awoke on Tuesday to feel much better. Fairly washed out, but that horrid feeling had left the building. I was able to go to work. I ate lightly and went to buy some pro-biotic yogurt in those little bottles.

It wasn't until this morning that I was able to feel like running. Well, I never feel like running, especially in the morning, and I always play that little game in my head where I think of reasons why I shouldn't go, but in the end put on my clothes and shoes and then the dog gets excited and there's really no turning back! It's just gotta be done.

Turns out lots of people get up early to run. At 7am my little pathway was a veritable highway of runners. All faster than me (I swear slugs run faster than me) but one nice lady from the local running club uttered words of encouragement to me - at least I think she did, because I can't hear really well with my earphones in. Maybe she was telling me I should run without earphones? I thanked her anyway.

So I keep plodding along. Not long until the kickoff of Round 4 of 12 Week Body Transformation. I've cleaned out the cupboards, diarised my workouts, my work, and things like our anniversary and Christmas. Next up we have fitness tests and measurements...stay tuned for the not pretty!

"...and I grew strong and learned how to get along
Oh not I, I will survive!"


Popular posts from this blog

Pssst...wanna be a fly on the wall?

My Students + Curriculum + Learning Spaces + Real Life = A Day In the Life

This Day is from last week when I thought it was A Day In The Life but it was Learning Spaces instead...probably just as well, because the last few days have not been worth blogging about (or maybe there's a big blog post in there lurking away, but I just can't deal with it right now)...anyway...

This week is the last of our Aussie NBTS posts and a's a long post!! So if you stay to the end, you have done well and earn bonus points.

I think a lot of people who don't homeschool are curious as to what our days look like. Those 6 panel Facebook memes have been doing the rounds, and of course there was a Homeschool one:

He he he!

The night before the Day in the Life: I should preface this Day with the fact that we had a late Night watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It was on TV, but we got out the DVD to skip the ads. I feel that some movies are just a compulsory part of any child&#…

I see...

We've had a couple of interesting weeks here. Video Boy has inherited his mother's shocking vision - he has myopia (commonly known as short-sightedness or near-sightedness). It occurs when the eyes focus light in front of the retina, leading to unfocussed vision.

Close up is usually OK, but distance vision is pretty fuzzy:

For me, even the couple would have been blurry! I was "medically blind" which meant I got my optometrist fees covered by Medicare (yay!).

So, Video Boy has had glasses for a couple of years now - he has broken one pair and then lost the replacement pair (grrr) and so for a couple of months, his world has looked like the picture on the right...and he was squinting to watch TV, read signs, pretty much all the time.
So, we went off to the optometrist last week to get us some new glasses!
The optometrist is up on all the latest research - with Wombat Girl, we bought a software program with special "lenses" and she had to do a practice session…

52 Ancestors - Strong Woman

I'm doing my family tree and I thought I might try to share some of it with you (the plan is each week with a prompt from the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks to write and share your genealogy, but we'll see!).

This is my father's mother's mother (so my great-grandmother) Susannah Jane Freeman, or Grandma Parsons as she was known. She was born 28 Sept 1873 in Crow Mountain, near Tamworth, NSW. With her husband, Charles Parsons, she had 7 children (one before her marriage - scandal! and supposedly the last one at age 51 - we are not sure of the story behind that one!). She died in 1956 aged 82 of heart disease.

So, for International Women's Day this week and for the Strong Women theme of #52ancestors, I think she looks like a strong and formidable female ancestor.