Skip to main content

All at sea...

... and so we are headed for home after a whirlwind tour of New Zealand! We enjoyed our time, saw some cool stuff, had fun, learnt stuff. If I could change anything, it would be to have a sea day in the middle so we could have a rest day, because you get all 'touristed" out.

It was nice to be back at sea - no where to go, nothing to see, but onboard entertainment. We watched a lot of movies, read a lot of books and the kids did lots of craft in the kids club.

Snoozing spot
Unfortunately, because ships are contained environments, with lots of people, germs spread quickly. I think because of all the handwashing videos and pump packs of anti-bacterial handwash everywhere, we did not experience any of the noroviruses (which produce nasty gastro-intestinal side-effects), but Video Boy did come down with a nasty cold in Bay of Islands, followed by Wombat Girl, then hubby (on formal night). I was taking my vitamins and trying not to let any of my family breathe on me, but on our trip home in the car, I succumbed too, and spent the first days at home feeling quite wretched, and understanding why hubby didn't feel like formal night!

Don't touch the handrails...

...or those ones (or the elevator buttons!)

I attended a behind-the-scenes tour of the Princess Theatre, where most of the shows were held. The lead singer complained that she had been singing with a dreadful cold that had been going around that week, so it seemed that we were in good company! I have done a fair few performances on a range of stages, so it was really interesting - I cannot imagine dancing when the seas get really rough, though!

View of the audience from the stage

Backstage dressing room was tiny!

View from the wings

I was going to stay and watch Water For Elephants after the tour, but so many people were hacking and coughing, I got germ-phobic and headed back out into the fresh air!!

They rope off the pools when the seas get too rough (although I did find on this cruise they shut them down much quicker and much calmer seas than compared to last cruise). If you look carefully (sorry about the film quality) you can see the water sloshing forward and backward into and out of the pool - it might give you a little idea of how much the boat moves.

I either must have got my sea legs, or the Sea Legs medication available in New Zealand recommended to me by a veteran cruiser really worked wonders, because I felt much better on the trip home.

It was our 16th wedding anniversary on the last full day at sea. Hubby was feeling yuck from his cold, so I celebrated by reading in the library or out on deck - so much for togetherness!

We got balloons and cake!
 Anyway, the weather was fine, we had had a nice trip, but we were ready to get back home (there's nothing like your own bed!).

We had to pack our bags the night before - that was a fun task (not) - the boat was rocking, my head was pounding with the looming cold and there were clothes and junk everywhere! Anyway, I got most of it shoved back in from whence it came and remembered to leave a change of clothes out for everyone for the next day.  

It was early in AM (and a change of time zone) when we got in the heads at Sydney Harbour. But it never fails to delight me:

Changeover day is amazing - they have everybody all organised so they get to their flight or hotel as smoothly as possible and all passengers have disembarked by 9:30am. In the life of the cruise ship, they spend minimal time in port, with all new deliveries of food and stock on board, rooms cleaned and ready to embark a new shipload of passengers for the next cruise by midday!

If only they could organise Sydney traffic as well, we'd be very happy customers!  

So that's our trip - hope you enjoyed it - we certainly did! We will probably go back to New Zealand at some stage and we will probably also take another cruise at some stage (maybe somewhere warm). We don't know where are next holiday will be, but now it's time to get back home, get unpacked, and get ready for Christmas!!


  1. I've loved reading about your trip, Ingi! I just wish I'd been there to greet you entering the harbour as I'd been there wishing you well on your way out! I have a photo of you guys going under the Harbour Bridge—what an ENORMOUS ship that was. I'm glad you had such a wonderful time. So sorry you got sick, but I can tell it won't define your time away. Thank you for sharing it all, Ingi :)


Post a Comment

Bloggers LOVE comments! We are pretty needy that way, so go on, leave some love :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Pssst...wanna be a fly on the wall?

My Students + Curriculum + Learning Spaces + Real Life = A Day In the Life

This Day is from last week when I thought it was A Day In The Life but it was Learning Spaces instead...probably just as well, because the last few days have not been worth blogging about (or maybe there's a big blog post in there lurking away, but I just can't deal with it right now)...anyway...

This week is the last of our Aussie NBTS posts and a's a long post!! So if you stay to the end, you have done well and earn bonus points.

I think a lot of people who don't homeschool are curious as to what our days look like. Those 6 panel Facebook memes have been doing the rounds, and of course there was a Homeschool one:

He he he!

The night before the Day in the Life: I should preface this Day with the fact that we had a late Night watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off. It was on TV, but we got out the DVD to skip the ads. I feel that some movies are just a compulsory part of any child&#…

I see...

We've had a couple of interesting weeks here. Video Boy has inherited his mother's shocking vision - he has myopia (commonly known as short-sightedness or near-sightedness). It occurs when the eyes focus light in front of the retina, leading to unfocussed vision.

Close up is usually OK, but distance vision is pretty fuzzy:

For me, even the couple would have been blurry! I was "medically blind" which meant I got my optometrist fees covered by Medicare (yay!).

So, Video Boy has had glasses for a couple of years now - he has broken one pair and then lost the replacement pair (grrr) and so for a couple of months, his world has looked like the picture on the right...and he was squinting to watch TV, read signs, pretty much all the time.
So, we went off to the optometrist last week to get us some new glasses!
The optometrist is up on all the latest research - with Wombat Girl, we bought a software program with special "lenses" and she had to do a practice session…

52 Ancestors - So Far Away

This week's #52ancestorsin52weeks is Father's Day - but of course, it's not Father's Day in Australia, so I'm going to do the theme we had a couple of weeks ago when I was away - So Far Away.

When you first start doing your family tree, it's exciting to see how "far back" you can go with your branches. Until last weekend, the furthest back on my direct line was Benjamin Broome, my 9th great-grandfather born in 1646 in Kidderminster, Worcestershire, England (grandfather of John Broom in my carpet story), which I thought was a long way back!

Last weekend, I was searching back to see if I could see a link between the Freemans on my Dad's side and the Freemans on my Mum's side (spoiler alert - not yet). Anyway, I was having a search on Joseph Freeman (my 5th great-grandfather born in Gloucestershire, England in 1765) and his wife - Sarah Arkell (my 5th great-grandmother also from Gloucestershire, England, born in 1767). Well, I had her father John…